Skillet Cornbread Baked in Coconut Oil
Gluten-free skillet cornbread cooked in coconut oil is my favorite new recipe creation! All you need is a large cast iron skillet and some great ingredients! I really like the addition of coconut oil in the bottom of the pan.
Gluten-free Skillet Cornbread:
1 cup of fine ground yellow cornmeal
1 cup of gluten-free flour blend (I use the recipe from earlier posts for America's Test Kitchen) OR use regular flour if you don't need to be gluten-free
1/3 cup of sugar (or even a little less if you don't want it sweet)
1 Tbsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1/2 tsp. of xanthan gum (not needed if you are making with regular flour)
1 Tbsp of cider vinegar
1 1/3 cups of milk
6 Tbsp of melted butter
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place a large cast iron skillet in the oven to warm up with the 1/3 cup of coconut oil in the bottom of it.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix up.
3. Whisk the egg, vinegar and milk in a small bowl. Add the melted butter to this mixture. Combine with the dry ingredients-mix until combined but don't overdo it.
4. Remove the hot skillet with the oil in it from the oven (be careful so it doesn't spill). Pour the batter carefully into the pan and smooth out the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until nice and brown on top.
5. Keeps well for a couple of days. Great product to make some gluten-free croutons or stuffing with when leftover!